This coming Saturday, all unregistered cell phone numbers will either be suspended or terminated.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said there would be no extension for the registration after its deadline on Friday and the MCMC would carry out an audit at the three major provider companies – DiGi, Celcom and Maxis – to see this was done.
MCMC corporate communications head Adelina Iskandar said that all unregistered prepaid numbers would be rendered useless and the credit forfeited from Saturday.
“However, we are not too worried as we believe we have captured the bulk of the users,” she said, adding that of an estimated 18.5 million who use prepaid numbers, 14.6 million users had registered.
“The youngsters are the ones who would have multiple prepaid numbers due to their lack of loyalty to a particular telecommunication company.
“They would buy the cheapest prepaid kit in any given month,” said Adelina, adding that the latest figure of registered users would be known by tomorrow.
The Government had made it compulsory for prepaid users to register themselves because of fears that irresponsible or subversive people could use a SIM card and they would remain untraceable.
Adelina said new prepaid users would be required to register their numbers to get them activated when they buy a starter kit.
She said the registration process required the user to only fill a form and show his or her MyKad to verify the information.
Previously, prepaid starter kits could be bought anonymously.-theStar