I was at the Maxis Discovery Series last Wednesday on Level 8, Maxis Headquarters. Maxis launched 3 new services(read more here).
When asked the top 3 people in Maxis about why Maxis conducted trials on DVB-H and MediaFLO, and yet to choose one of it, Maxis Head of Strategy and New Businesses said in simple word that “We are not decided yet”. In the same time during the press conference, Maxis CEO Mr. Sandip Das added “We will follow the market trend. If the Europen Union has chosen DVB-H and the GSM Association has made its choice, we will follow“.
The CEO admitted that MediaFLO is better that DVB-H but choosing the right Mobile TV technology is very much depending on where will the world Telecom market is heading.
So for, only U Mobile has a DVB-H license for Mobile TV. It seems that the MCMC favors DVB-H compared to a better technology like MediaFLO.
To know why MedioFLO is better than DVB-H, read my article on Mobile World Magazine(April 2008 issue), page 52.
Here are some latest stats of Maxis:
- 1.7 million 3G subscribers with 0.5 million non active 3G users and 1.3 million active 3G users
- 2.8 million active data users(GPRS,EDGE,3G,HSDPA)
- 1.2 million Friend Finder users(active+non-active)
- 1.2 million active MMS users
- 15-20 million hits on Maxis wap portal every month
- more than 100 million SMS a day