Here’s SOME facts that you should know about mobile broadband using 3G networks:
- Shared service- Mobile Broadband uses your mobile phone network and it is a shared service, so don’t expect maximum speed(exp: 3.6Mbps) all the time.
- Mobile & Wireless- Mobile Broadband is made for the purpose of getting broadband while NOT AT HOME and on the move. It is designed as an alternative broadband to your existing fixed broadband service.
- Plug & Play- Most mobile broadband today is plug & play, although some of it needs a one time software installation to use.
- Speed is location/signal strength based- Speed is very much dependent on your current location and the signal strength.
- Limited use: Since this is not your primary broadband service, the ISPs has implemented a fair usage policy to ensure everyone gets a fair use out of this shared network. Some ISP even charge for excessive usage and limit the speed for users exceeding this given limit.
- Average Speed- Average download speed to expect using HSDPA technology is 2Mbps while upload speed to expect is 384Kbps.
- Expensive- Most mobile broadband service are expensive since maintenance cost are not cheap and ISPs usually spends million in a year to upgarde bandwidth and network capability.