Celcom Axiata will start offering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 tomorrow in the Klang Valley. It will be available nationwide at selected Celcom Blue Cube outlets as well as participating Celcom dealers starting Friday.
The 8.9″ Samsung Galaxy Tab retails for RM1699 in Malaysia. It runs Android 3.1 HoneyComb and powered by a dual core 1Ghz processor. Specifications of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 below:
- General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 21 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
- Dimensions: 230.9 x 157.8 x 8.6 mm, 470 g
- Android 3.1 Honeycomb
- Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset
- 8.9″ 16M-color WXGA (1280 x 800 pixels) IPS TFT capacitive touchscreen
- 1GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB storage
- 3.15 megapixel auto-focus camera with 720p video recording; 2 megapixel front facing camera
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 3.0, standard microUSB port,GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, FM radio, HDMI TV-out, USB host
- Others: TouchWiz customization, telephony, DivX/XviD codec support, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, gyroscope sensor
As for the subsidised packages with 12/24 months contract, Celcom will offer the device for as low as RM1288 and must be subscribed with a broadband plan(RM68 Basic/ RM98 Advance).
Our source close to Samsung Malaysia said that the units Celcom is offering have been locked without voice feature. We also wonder why Samsung Malaysia has decided not to run any awareness programme or marketing campaign for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in Malaysia.
Another source tipped us that DiGi is preparing to offer the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 while Maxis might skip this for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus.