Nokia has released a new software update for its Meego flagship device- Nokia N9. The PR 1.1 release brings in a host of performance improvements and many new features including some 308 enhancements.
On top of these, the Nokia N9 in White is available for pre-order online at the Finnish online store Verkkokauppa. The White N9 cost about RM3,010 for the 64GB model. It will be available this year. The other colours of Nokia N9 include black, magenta and blue.
Below is a list of enhancement/features/upgrades in the PR 1.1(20.2011.40-4) software update for the Nokia N9:
- Low power mode enhancemens, battery charging and silent profile are now shown in there.
- Tons of NFC and connectivity improvements.
- Performance enhancements.
- Visual tuneups (e.g. toolbar has a shadow now).
- Splash screen has been taken to wider use.
- Color management is less nervous than before (neutral sRGB space color palette is now used always, except in clearly outdoor situations, when oversaturation is applied to adjust how eye desaturates content in brightness).
- Lock screen music controls has been added (It’s in the top of the screen and at least I’m pleased with how nicely a nuance the controls look. Currently playing song is on big friendly letters, replacing clock when you are playing music).
- Swype keyboard has been added.
- Keyboard switching is very smooth with swipe gesture.
- Battery notification was tuned for 1.1 and should come every 2 minutes while in call, every 5 minutes when display on and every 30 minutes when display off.
- Turning device to landscape is supported allover UI it seems.
- Double tap was re-tuned a bit for 1.1. It’s a bit more reliable again.
- Tons of exchange fixes
- Facebook starts faster and has tons of fixes in both 1.1 and 1.2. I’d say it’s bearable in 1.1.
- wifi in general has been improved by leaps and bounds in 1.1.
- Magnifier works in 1.1 much better than in 1.0.
- Swipe-to-close is enabled by default in 1.1
- Top status bar lag has been fixed
- Browser has been improved heavily for 1.1, but not on the UX front. 1.2 has some feature improvements.
- LED bug that has been fixed for 1.1.
- 1.1 also includes a battery charging indicator in low power mode (LPM)
- A lot of work has been put to better interoperability of BT with cars
- pulseaudio issue has been fixed
- We have automerge contacts support in 1.1, although it has some usability issues. Anyway, zillion times nicer than not having automerge at all.
- Silence by turning device down works in 1.1
- quicklaunchbar is quite a bit better in 1.1 already. you don’t need to swipe-hold to open it, just a quick, but small swipe from bottom will do.
Nokia N9 users should receive the update Over the Air(OTA) or they can do a manual update under settings/applications/manage applications.
The next software update for the Nokia N9, PR1.2, should bring universal copy & paste and folders, decoder enhancements, along with significant improvement in the camera performance.
[Source]– Nokia Buff