DMD Mobile Sdn Bhd is expected to launch its M3 Communicator Android-powered NFC smartphone on 29 May 2012. The M3 is expected to be priced between RM300-RM400(expected at RM350) and it is targeted to the prepaid users in Malaysia.
The M3 Communicator has similar design of a BlackBerry Bold/Curve or a Nokia E-Series. It comes with a QWERTY keypad, touchscreen and has Bluetooth 4.0, 3MP camera, WiFi, HSPA plus more.
M3 Communicator specification below:
- Android 2.3.5
- (Unconfirmed)- MTK(MediaTEK) Processor between 650Mhz/80MHz
- 2.6inch QVGA landscape display with 256k colors and capacitive multitouch feature
- QWERTY keypad an navigation keys
- 3.75G HSPA WCDMA – 850/2100 Mhz(GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 Mhz)
- 3Million pixel back camera with LED flash and front VGA camera
- 512MB Flash memory -256MB SRAM memory
- 2GB SD card expandable to 32GB
- BlueTooth 4.0, Wifi A/B/G/N – WiFi Direct – Hotspot, GPS and A-GPS
- FM Radio Transceiver
- Near Field Communication (NFC)
- 1200mAH high capacity battery
- Dimensions: 113x63x11.3mm
MalaysianWireless met Herve Jegou who is the founder and Chief Technology Officer of DMD Mobile at the Mobile Monday Malaysia meet up yesterday. Herve said that at the price between RM300-RM400, the M3 Communicator comes bundled with a prepaid pack with unlimited chat services for up to 1-year, for free. The Instant Messaging app(possibly named Instacom) will also support email and social networking without additional cost.
The “Instacom” chat app uses the XMPP protocol and allows the following:
- Connect to Gtalk, Facebook chat, SMS and MMS with a unified instant messaging client
- send and receive Email via mobile push email
- Posts messages, checkins and images to your circle of friends, colleagues, family or everyone – including on Facebook or Twitter
- receive feeds from people and places you follow and from your Facebook or Twitter account
Herve said that DMD will compress all data via the IM app to its server. He believes that on average, most users would probably consume about 15MB of data every month.
Unfortunately, the service does not include unlimited data browsing. However according to Herve, they are working with the mobile operators to offer special mobile data packages, possibly at RM10 a month for a 200MB-500MB. The prepaid starter pack that comes bundled with the M3 Communicator will still offer the normal Telco services. While Herve declined to the mobile operators, MalaysianWireless believes that DMD Mobile is working with Maxis & DiGi to offer this package, as reported in February.
As part of the service, DMD will also offer users a mobile rewards program including points and coupons which can be redeemed for free data service and airtime.
DMD said it is working on a M3 Touch which is touchscreen based and has the similar specification of the M3 Communicator. The M3 Touch is expected to be available around RM500 probably after the launch of the M3 Communicator this month.