Mobile operators in Malaysia are heavily promoting mobile Internet and expanding 3G coverage to almost every corner of this country. As this happens, mobile smartphone users in Malaysia over the past 2-3 years have been using more instant messaging instead of sending SMS.
Smartphone users can now cut down their mobile phone bills further by making free voice calls to other smartphone users in Malaysia(and around the world) by using free mobile apps.
Below are some of the best/top mobile applications that allow free mobile voice calls between users(Note data chargers applies, a mobile data/Internet plan is strongly recommended):
Viber is completely free and comes without any advertising. This app offers free mobile Internet calls and text between users worldwide. There are about 90 million users worldwide.
The developer behind Viber claims that the sound quality is better than your regular voice call. We tested and voice quality is superb only when we had a stable Internet connection. Why use Viber:
- Free text, calling, photo messages and location-sharing with Viber users(requires mobile internet 3G or WiFi)
- No registration, alias or invitations required
- Instantly integrates with your own contact list
- Best-quality mobile calls using 3G or Wi-Fi
Viber works on the following smartphone platforms:
- iPhone: Viber works iPhone Models: 3GS and 4, with IOS: 3.1.3, 4. and newer. iPod touch and iPad (latest generations) are partially supported.
- Android: Works on most Android devices, the complete list can be found here. (link: http://goo.gl/ExW64)
- BlackBerry- Still in Beta. Currently only supports Messaging without voice.
- Windows Phone- No voice yet, only Messaging at the moment.
Viber can be downloaded from Google Play, Apple App Store, Window Phone Marketplace and BlackBerry App World.
This app allow its users to send and receive messages including photos, videos, voice messages, URL links, and contact information, both on a one-to-one basis and in groups, all for free. Kakao claims 50 million users worldwide.
KakaoTalk key features:
- Free Call- You can make free voice calls to your friends while chatting with them. Come with the funny voice filter features too.
- Send texts, videos and photos
- Supports 12 different languages.KakaoTalk allows you to enjoy not only one-to-one chats but also group chats.
- Chat data are completely encrypted for security.
KakaoTalk is supported on all the smartphone platforms including iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone and Bada. At the moment, voice call is supported on iOS and Android only.
The app can be downloaded at their respective smartphone platform app store.
Voopee-XOX (Requires Access Fee)
Voopee is developed by Malaysia mobile operator, XOX. It is currently targeted to Malaysians and users will be given a local mobile number once registered.
Voopee offers unlimited voice call and rich messaging(SMS) between users however the service is available with an access fee of RM60 for 6-months usage at the moment. For 1st time users, Voopee is giving away a RM5 credit for users to try out the app within 14 days. For calls to non-Voopee users in Malaysia, a rate of of 22sen/min applies while each SMS cost 10sen. Users can reload Voopee using the XOX reload vouchers available nationwide.
This app works over 3G/WiFi and is currently available for Android but an iOS version will be available very soon.
More details on Voopee hit the following link- “Free Calls & SMS with Voopee XOX“.
Just like the Skype desktop client, Skype for mobile offers free voice calls, Instant Mesasging and video calls between users.
Features of Skype for mobile:
- Skype to Skype IMs, video and voice calls free over 3G internet or WiFi.
- Send pictures, videos and files to any of your contacts.
- With Skype Credit, make low-cost calls and SMS to mobiles or landlines
Skype requires a very stable internet connection for a good quality of voice and video call, preferably a WiFi network that uses broadband connections like Streamyx and UniFi. The mobile app is supported on iOS, Android & Windows Phone.
[Website]– Skype for Mobile
Just like all the other mobile apps above, Tango offers free unlimited mobile video, voice and messaging. There is also a desktop client as well.
The developer claims to offer high-quality video calling between PC, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Windows Phone 7 and Android phones and tablets, and works on 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi.
Other key features:
- Populates Tango Contacts automatically from existing phone contact list
- Invite friends and others by e-mail or text
- Switch cameras and swap screens to show what is around you
- Move between video to audio and back to video
- Send & receive free video messages
- Group video messaging
- Create an account in less than five seconds – New profile not required, no login & password
Tango can be downloaded from Google Play, Apple App Store and Windows Phone marketplace.
There are also apps out there that supports free voice calls(& text) between users. Those apps include:
- Nimbuzz Messenger- allows users to make free calls and chat between users. Integrated with Facebook, Gtalk Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Live Messenger (MSN). Supported on Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, Java, Windows PC and Mac. [Nimbuzz Website]
- Fring- offers free group video chat, voice calls & text chat between users. Supported on Android, iPhone/iPad and selected Nokia phones. [Fring Website]
- LINE- free voice call and messages. One of the most downloaded app in Malaysia. Supported on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Windows PC and Mac. [LINE Website]
- WeChat- a free app that offers voice messaging(like walkie talkie), video, photo and text messages. Supports iPhone, Android, Windows Phone & Symbian OS. The company is based in China. [WeChat Website]