The new iPhone 5 was unveiled by Apple this morning and MalaysianWireless have reported before that it will be hitting the Malaysia soon(despite this has not been officially confirmed yet).
iPhone 5, as Apple calls it, is the thinnest smartphone in the world, with an all-new 7.6 mm anodized aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S. The new iPhone 5 comes with a large 4″ inch retina display and it will have nano-SIM card support only, one of the first in the world.
According to Apple, the A6 on board processor is up to twice as fast compared with the A5 chip and extremely power efficient. The camera is 8 megapixel, the same as iPhone 4S, however the sensor is 25% smaller on the iPhone 5.
Specifications of the iPhone 5(Model A1429):
- Display- 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display, 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi, Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front, Retina display, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Operating System- iOS 6
- Processor- Apple A6(PL0598), (Unconfirmed- Dual Core 1.2Ghz Cortex-A15)
- Memory- 16/32/64 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
- Camera: 8-megapixel iSight camera, Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio,
Front HD camera with 1.2MP and HD video (720p) up to 30 frames per second, LED flash, Improved video stabilization
- GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 2100 MHz, 1800 MHz, 850 MHz)
- Connectivity- DC-HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSDPA, 21 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps, LTE, 100 Mbps; Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, Assisted GPS and GLONASS
- Dimension- Height: 4.87 inches (123.8 mm), Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm), Depth: 0.30 inch (7.6 mm), Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery, Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, Standby time: Up to 225 hours, Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi, Video playback: Up to 10 hours, Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
The iPhone 5 comes with a new Lightning connector which is 80% smaller, has 8 pins and is reversible.
Customers in USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Singapore or Hong Kong can pre-order the iPhone 5 starting September 14. The iPhone 5 will be available starting September 21.
It has been reported that 22 more countries will also get the iPhone 5 on September 28, and the number of countries will go up to 100 by the end of the year(Malaysia may get it too).
In the United States(US), the Apple iPhone 5 is going to cost $199 with a two-year contract for the the 16GB.
The 8GB Apple iPhone 4 and the 16GB iPhone 4S models will be still available for free with $99 on a contract, respectively, while the 8GB iPhone 3GS has been discontinued.
Stay tuned to MalaysianWireless for details on iPhone 5 launch and pricing in Malaysia.