As part of the infrastructure and spectrum sharing agreement signed between Maxis Berhad (Maxis) and REDtone International Bhd (REDtone) last year, Maxis 4G LTE would be able to offer high speed broadband speeds up to 150Mbps.
In an email interview with MalaysianWireless, Mark Dioguardi, Chief Operating Officer of Maxis Berhad said that network partnership with REDtone is progressing as planned and with the combined spectrum, both companies could offer LTE speeds up to 150Mbps. Maxis and REDtone signed the agreement in July last year.
The Maxis 4G LTE service was commercially made available via selected Maxis Broadband plans since 1st Jan 2013 at selected areas including Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Damansara Utama, Desa Sri Hartamas, Bandar Puchong Jaya, Bandar Sunway and Cyberjaya.
Mark(picture above) also revealed that the Maxis 4G LTE network is powered by Huawei and Nokia Siemens Network(NSN). As for LTE devices, Mark said “rest assured that our customers will be spoiled for choice when it comes to LTE devices available this year.”
The full Q&A below, our 8 questions to Maxis:
- Why the speed of cap of 42Mbps when you are offering a faster LTE dongle with speed capability of up to 75Mbps?
You could enjoy peak speed of up to 75Mbps now and not cap at 42Mbps with our offered LTE dongle.
- From a speed perspective, how does the new LTE offering on wireless broadband differ from the current 3G/HSPA+ Wireless Broadband plans?
Up to 10 times faster than 3G! For more information about our LTE 4G speed, please refer to http://www.maxis.com.my/4GLTE/main.asp
- What is the progress on the Redtone LTE partnership?
Progressing as planned and no further update for now.
- With the combined Maxis-REDtone spectrum, what is the fastest speed can Maxis deliver on LTE?
Peak speed of up to 150Mbps.
- Number of LTE devices(smartphones/dongles) that Maxis plans to introduce or expected in Malaysia this year?
We will announce in due course but rest assured that our customers will be spoiled for choice when it comes to LTE devices available this year.
- When will Maxis Postpaid users enjoy LTE on their phone? Also will they be any LTE activation required?
Maxis Postpaid users will enjoy LTE smartphone services soon and LTE will be automatic for selected plans and devices.
- Which LTE vendor has Maxis chosen for LTE & why?
Huawei and NSN. They have been our network partners for several years and have lots of experience in LTE deployments worldwide.
- Target of LTE coverage by end of this year? And when will LTE become available indoors, like shopping malls?
We will constantly update our LTE coverage on our website. So do keep an eye on us!
P.s: If you have any question on Maxis 4G LTE, drop us a comment below and we will do our best to get an answer.