In the latest Symantec Corp’s Internet Security Threat Report, Volume 18 (ISTR) published last month, the leading IT security company indicates a surge in overall cybercrime during 2012 as compared to the prior year.
Highlighting the increase in vulnerability of manufacturing sector and small businesses, the report also highlighted the heightened risk of ransomware and mobile threats to consumers, particularly on the Android platform, as it is an open platform.
Key Mobile Findings:
- Mobile Malware and Malicious Websites put consumers at Risk (global data)
- Overall mobile malware increased by 58 percent
- 32 percent of all mobile threats attempted to steal information, such as e-mail addresses and phone numbers
- Apple’s iOS had the most documented vulnerabilities, it only had one threat discovered during the same period
- Android, by contrast, had less vulnerability but more threats than any other mobile operating system
- 61 percent of malicious websites are actually legitimate websites that have been compromised and infected with malicious code
- Increasingly, ransomware (a particularly vicious attack method) is now emerging as the malware of choice because of its high profitability for attackers
- Another growing source of infections on websites is malvertisements—this is when criminals buy advertising space on legitimate websites and use it to hide their attack code.
Symantec said that looking ahead:
- Social media will be a major security battleground – As they go mobile and add payment mechanisms, they will attract even more attention from online criminals with malware, phishing, spam and scams
- Websites will become more dangerous – Criminals will increasingly attack websites, using malvertising and website attach kits, as a means of infecting users
- Mobile malware comes of age – Tablet adoption and smartphone market penetration will continue and this will attract criminals
- Persistent Phishing – Phishing will become more regional and will appear in wider variety of languages. And will continue to spread on social media websites exploiting the mediums virality and trusted messaging
[PDF Link]- Download the full 2013 Symantec Internet Security Threat Report, Volume 18