More people are using cloud storage these days. A cloud storage service allows synchronization of files across multiple device and multiple platform. In simple words, files uploaded to the cloud servers are retrievable from just about anywhere in the world.
Check out some of the top, recommended cloud storage applications below for your smartphones(iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry 10). Also a general summary of each popular cloud service and their key features.
1. DropBox (Free 2GB, recommended for Android & iPhone)
Available since 2008, DropBox sync all your photos, docs, videos, and files. Anything you add to Dropbox will automatically show up on all your computers, phones and even the Dropbox website — so you can access your stuff from anywhere.
Key features of DropBox:
- Starting at 2 GB for free and up to 18 GB with referrals.
- Pro accounts with up to 500 GB. Business accounts start at 1 TB for 5 users.
- Your files are always available from the secure Dropbox website.
- Dropbox works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, Android, BlackBerry & Kindle Fire
- Edit files in your Dropbox from your phone.
- Dropbox transfers just the parts of a file that change (not the whole thing).
- Manually set bandwidth limits
- Invite friends, family or teammates to a folder. It’ll be as if you saved the folder to their computers.
- Create photo galleries viewable by anyone you choose.
- Send a link to any file or folder in your Dropbox
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and AES-256 bit encryption.
On your Android and iPhone/iPad, the DropBox mobile app offers a feature that allows automatic uploading of all your camera photos, users can choose to do this via a WiFi connection or 3G.
Download:[Link]– DropBox for Android [Link]– DropBox for iOS
For BlackBerry 10, an unofficial app is available on BlackBerry World, the app is created by BlackBerry. For older version of the BlackBerry OS, you may download the DropBox app from here[link].
More details on Dropbox over here[link].
2. Google Drive (Free 15Gb, recommended for Android)
This is a must instal app especially when you use a lot of Google services. The Google Drive was made available since April 2012 with 5GB a free space, however Google announced recently the unification of storage across Gmail, Drive, and Google+ Photos giving users a total storage of 15GB for free.
- Store the first 15 GB of your stuff for free.
- When your Google Drive grows, get another 25 GB of space (or more!) starting at $2.49 per month.
- Access everything in your Google Drive from all your devices.
- Your files are always waiting for you at drive.google.com, but you can also get them straight from your computer, smartphone, and tablet. Install Google Drive on multiple devices and Google Drive makes sure they’re all the same. You can even get to your files after you go offline.
- Any time your device has Internet access, it checks in with Google Drive. That ensures your files and folders are always up to date. Change something on one device and it changes everywhere.
- Max file size allowed per each file: 10 GB
Download:[Link]– Drive for Android [Link]– Drive for iOS
More details on Google Drive over here[link].
3. Box (Free 5GB, recommended for BlackBerry & Android)
Box is one the preferred cloud storage service for enterprise and business, however the service is also available to consumers. The Personal Plan starts with a free 5GB and up to 50GB if users choose to upgrade. All accounts are able to share file links with friends or coworkers, access the service via the mobile app, take advantage of secure storage and transfers of their data, sync important files or folders automatically, and have the ability to edit documents in the cloud straight through the Box service.
Box is available for Android, BlackBerry, iOS, WebOS, and Windows Phone devices.
Key features of the Box Mobile App:
- Easily edit, annotate, e-sign and more from your mobile device
- Organize files into folders, for a whole new level of organization and collaboration
- Invite friends or co-workers to your folders, allowing all of you to work on a project or share your latest images
- Find files fast with Box’s user-friendly interface and sophisticated built-in search
- Favorite files for offline access
- Maximum file size limit for free account is 250MB per file
Box is one of the best cloud storage app for BlackBerry device as it offers automatic backup of pictures and videos.
Download:[Link]– Box for BlackBerry 10 [Link]– Box for Android [Link]– Box for iOS (iPad & iPhone) [Link]– Box for Windows Phone
More details on Box over here[link].
4. Microsoft SkyDrive ( Free 7GB, recommended for Windows Phone)
SkyDrive is part of the Windows Live range of online services and allows users to keep the files private, share them with contacts, or make the files public. It offers remote file access and allows you to create Microsoft Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets and OneNote notebooks directly in the cloud.
Microsoft gives you 7GB of free storage space when you sign up for SkyDrive or sign in using your existing Live ID/Microsoft account.
Just like the other cloud storage providers, SkyDrive is available for Windows and Mac OS. For mobile platform support, SkyDrive has an app for Windows Phone, iOS and Android.
Features of SkyDrive for Mobile:
- Access all of your SkyDrive content including files shared with you.
- View recently used documents.
- Upload photos or videos from your phone.
- Share your files and photos – send a link in email or get a link you can copy and paste.
- Manage your files – move, delete, rename, or create new folders.
- Search your SkyDrive files and folders
SkyDrive is a recommended cloud storage app for Windows Phone since both platforms are owned by Microsoft.
Download:[Link]– SkyDrive for Windows Phone [Link]– SkyDrive for Android [Link]– SkyDrive for iOS
More details on SkyDrive over here[link].
Other Cloud Storage Mobile Apps
Besides DropBox, Drive, Box and SkyDrive, there are many other free cloud storage providers out there such as iCloud specifically for iOS/Mac, SugarSync(Free 5 GB), MediaFire(Up to 50GB), Copy(Free 15GB+5GB) and the list goes on.