A report that was published recently reveals that mobile internet users in Southeast Asia(SEA) are young. Vserv.mobi, a Global Mobile Ad network, released The Mobile Internet Consumer Report – Southeast Asia 2013, developed together with The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA).
The report provides a regional and country-specific insight into mobile internet usage across six Southeast Asian countries namely, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
The report aims to provide media planners and brand advertisers with useful Mobile Internet audience insights, to enhance their reach to the right target audience across this fast-growing region.
Specific insights on Malaysia include:
- Only one out of eight mobile internet users in Malaysia belong to the youngest age group (less than 18 years)
- Majority of mobile internet users in Malaysia hold diplomas or are undergoing undergraduate studies
- Malaysia has one of the highest proportion of full-time employees in the mobile internet user base in Southeast Asia (46%)
- In order of popularity, the type of content consumed by mobile internet users in Malaysia is similar to that of a typical Southeast Asian user. However, the number of users downloading games and apps (59%) is relatively lower than Southeast Asia average
- The penetration of consumer durables is the lowest in Malaysia (29%)
- The penetration of computers (37%) and tablets (29%) is on par with the Southeast Asia average
Overall insight on SEA:
- More than half of mobile internet users are generally young; below 24 years of age
- More than a third possess graduate and postgraduate degrees
- Over 70% of users are working professionals, with a high spending power that includes frequent visits to restaurants, shopping malls & movie theatres
- Mobile Internet users are content and information hungry, often turning to mobile advertising to fulfil these needs
- Consumers love mobile ads that provide downloadable content (55%), followed by those that help discover great deals (42%)
- Apps and games are the most downloaded form of content followed by, videos and music
Check out the reports for Malaysia and SEA below:
The Mobile Internet Consumer report produced by MMA and Vserv.mobi is based on a primary survey of over 3,000 mobile web and app users. The two-week long survey was conducted in – July 2013.