In just 24 hours BBM has been downloaded over 10 million times by Android and iPhone users, one of the best single-day openings for a mobile app to date, claims BlackBerry. BBM, the premier private social network from BlackBerry, is available for free in the App Store and Google Play for immediate download.
BlackBerry said that BBM also quickly rose through the rankings on the App Store to be the number one free app in more than 75 countries in the first 24 hours, including the US, Canada, the UK, Indonesia and most of the Middle East. User ratings in both the App Store and Google Play are overwhelmingly positive, earning BBM 60,000 five-star reviews on Google Play from about 87,000 reviews.
“This has been an incredible launch for BBM across Android and iPhone devices. The mobile messaging market is full of opportunity for BBM. We intend to be the leading private social network for everyone who needs the immediate communication and collaboration of instant messaging combined with the privacy, control and reliability delivered through BBM,” said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, BBM at BlackBerry.
BBM for Android and iOS comes with the following features:
- BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let people know their message has been delivered and read, it also shows them when a contact is responding to a message.
- Share Files – With BBM, customers can simply and instantly share files such as photos and voice notes. Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together.
- Group Chat – BBM Groups lets users invite up to 30 friends to chat together, as well as share photo albums, calendars and files.
- Post Updates- BBM lets people post a personal message, profile picture and a current status, and lets contacts see statuses instantly in Updates.
- Unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains privacy, so users are not required to ever give out their phone number or email address to a new or casual contact.
Te company added that Android and iPhone users will have access to BBM Voice and Video calling, as well as the new community building tool – BBM Channels – in the near future.
There are 60 million BBM for BlackBerry users worldwide and the BlackBerry infrastructure handled approximately 30 petabytes of data traffic each months. BBM for Android and iOS was launched on 22 October(Malaysia time).
Last month, the unofficial version of the BlackBerry for Android & iOS was leaked online causing “back end issues” on BlackBerry servers. Despite it crashed the BlackBerry servers, the leaked BBM app was downloaded by nearly 1.1 million Android users.
More than 6 million Android and iPhone customers had pre-registered for the launch.