Its been a while since we release insider details and phone pricing before its launch in Malaysia. So here we go again.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is to be announced in Malaysia on March 27 and we expect it to be available via Telcos and possibly retail channels starting April 11. The latest smartphone from Samsung is set to be priced at RM2399 in Malaysia, according to our reliable sources.
Here’s the media invite that Samsung sent us on Friday with no further details:
Compared to last year’s Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung has improved the Galaxy S5 in terms of design, connectivity, and camera. Key features of the Samsung Galaxy S5:
- Display: 5.1” FHD Super AMOLED HD capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (431ppi)
- OS: Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat)
- Processor: Snapdragon 801 MSM8974-AC, 2.5GHz Quad core application processor
- Camera: 16 megapixel auto-focus back camera(1/2.6” sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size), HDR (Rich tone), Selective Focus, Virtual Tour Shot, Shot&More, 2.0MP (front)
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage: 16/32GB storage, microSD card slot up to 128GB
- Connectivity: Quad Core 2G & 3G, LTE Cat.4 (150/50Mbps), WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac HT80, MIMO(2×2), Bluetooth: 4.0 BLE / ANT+, USB: USB 3.0, NFC, IR Remote
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Hall, RGB ambient light, Gesture(IR), Finger Scanner, Heart rate sensor
- Others: IP67 Dust and water Resistant, Ultra Power Saving Mode, File Download Booster
- Battery: 2800mAh, standby time: 390 hrs / talk time: 21 hrs
- Dimensions: 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145g
There won’t be any exclusivity to the Samsung Galaxy S5 despite we know that DiGi tried to secure it. Within the industry, we notice that Maxis showed less interest on the Galaxy S5 compared to the Galaxy S4 last year. Perhaps the Device Marketing team at Maxis needs to do a better job. We look forward to more promotion and better packages from the mobile operators.
So far, the local Telco in Malaysia, Celcom, Maxis, & DiGi have confirmed that it will offer the Samsung Galaxy S5. Celcom and DiGi are now accepting Registration of Interest on their website, however Maxis doesn’t have one at the time of writing.
No word on Samsung Gear 2 yet or its pricing but we will try our best to find out details.
We will be attending the Samsung Galaxy S5 launch in Malaysia, so stay tuned to MalaysianWireless Facebook page over here for live updates.
[Update 1, 28 March, 9pm]: The Samsung Gear 2 and Gear Fit will be available in Malaysia from April 11 onwards at all Samsung Mobile Brand Stores and authorised dealers, at RM899 and RM599 respectively.