Motorola Solutions, Inc., a provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers, opened its new research and development (R&D) center in Penang, known as the “Innoplex” earlier this month.
Equipped with state-of the-art laboratories, and product design and development capabilities, the center is set to focus on developing the next generation of mission-critical Land Mobile Radio (LMR), broadband-LTE devices and system solutions for the company’s customers throughout the world.
Innoplex is currently the company’s largest R&D facility outside the United States. The new premise encompasses 227,000 square feet on seven floors and is linked via a bridge to the Motorola Solutions’ manufacturing facility, known as the Technoplex. With the opening of this center, Innoplex will assist to integrate the company’s operations in Penang into a single site, the company said.
Motorola Innoplex Centre Fact Sheet:
- It is one of the largest design centers in Malaysia, and for Motorola Solutions
- The centre will integrate all existing research and development (R&D) operations into one building
- Main capabilities would be to develop the next generation of telecommunications devices and systems:
- Analog & Digital Land Mobile Radio (LMR) also known as 2-way radio or walkie-talkie for DMR, TETRA, P25, LTE
- Energy and audio accessories
- Base stations (BTS)
- Equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories to conduct rigorous compliance tests for radio communications products, along with development of new product designs
- This design center houses a fully integrated team comprising various disciplines: Industrial Design, Software, Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EE), Mechanical Engineering (ME), Program Management, Chief Technology Office (CTO), Advanced Technology, Quality, Information Technology (IT), and Design Integration & Test.
- These functions are supported by a distinguished manufacturing facility as well as regulatory compliance and reliability engineering laboratories which are located at the adjacent building (Technoplex)
- This design center houses approximately 1,200 engineers and support associates
The new one-stop design center will have approximately 1,200 engineers and support associates onsite, and will also accommodate teams from various disciplines including industrial design, software, electrical and electronics engineering, mechanical engineering and program management.
The laboratories are fitted with advanced test equipment to conduct rigorous compliance testing of radio communications products, along with development of new products. The Innoplex will also help the company consolidate all its R&D functions, creating an ideal environment for improved productivity and operational efficiency, it said.
Since its establishment in 1974, Malaysia has been a key market for Motorola Solutions in the Asia-Pacific region, with a total investment of RM4 billion over the past four decades. The company also recently launch of its Global Solutions Support Centre and Network Operations Centre in Penang.