Malaysia’s Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) has made made available a new smartphone application called MeterOn for Taxi passengers. It said that MeterOn is one of SPAD’s initiatives to improve the quality of taxi services in Malaysia.
The SPAD MeterOn app allow passengers to verify taxi drivers, track a journey, estimate the taxi fare, and send SOS alerts. Key features of SPAD MeterOn below:
- Driver Verification- Verify driver function allows you to search for a driver and check if the driver is registered and holds a valid driver card with SPAD by entering the taxi vehicle number.
- Journey Tracker- This function allows you to be tracked while travelling on a taxi using GPS technology. Users can track own journey and share their own location with primary contacts until they safely arrive at their destination.
- Fare Estimation- Fare displayed is the minimum estimated based on the distance rate. However, the actual fare may differ according to deviations taken by the driver.
- Driver Rating and Meter Usage- Users can rate the drivers based on their travel experience and can directly lodge a report if the meter is not used during their trip
- SOS Alert- This function allows you to send notification to your pre-set emergency contact via call or SMS in case of an emergency upon clicking the SOS button. The following info will be sent: Driver’s name, date and time, user’s current location, vehicle registration number, and message (optional).
- Feedback/Report- Report illegal driver is used to report if an unlicensed/ inactive driver is driving a taxi, lodge complaint is used to report a registered driver’s misconduct, while lodge feedback is used to comment on a driver without escalating to a complaint.
The app covers covers over 50,000 licensed taxis (including airport taxis and hired cars) throughout Peninsular Malaysia.
Users could register for the MeterOn app by providing name, email address and phone number. However registration is optional but it could be useful when making reports or providing feedback via the app.
All complaints submitted via MeterOn will be directed to SPAD’s Complaints Unit for appropriate investigation and action. SPAD said that users could safely submit complaints and their identity will not be disclosed to the Taxi driver.
SPAD recently announced new a higher fare for Taxi. The base rate for both Klang Valley and Penang budget taxis remains unchanged at RM3. However, for Teksi1Malaysia, the base rate goes up from RM3 to RM4.Distance fares for budget taxis in Kuala Lumpur has been increased from 10 sen for 115m to 25 sen per 200m. For Teksi1Malaysia, the fare is now 30 sen for every 200m.
MeterOn is available in English or Bahasa Malaysia (the language can be set by changing the default language of the smartphone). The app is compatible on iOS 7.1 or later (iPhone 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) and Android Android 4.0.3 or newer.