Online shopping mall, Lazada announced today that its mobile application for Android and iOS have reached over 11 million downloads to date. The company launched the Android app in June 2013 followed by the iOS app in January 2014.
Lazada claims it is Southeast Asia’s number one online shopping and selling destination with presence in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
It has seen a surge in mobile app downloads across the region, which has grown over 75% since December 2014. There were approximately 1.5 million or close to 50,000 downloads per day in April alone.
According to Lazada, consumers spend more time browsing per session on the mobile app than the desktop, with an average of 7.1 minutes on Android and 7.9 minutes on iOS, as compared to 6.7 minutes on the desktop, in Malaysia. There are also more females than males using the mobile apps, with the majority of 69% aged between 25 to 44 years old. The most popular product categories shopped on the mobile apps in April are Home & Living, Mobile & Tablets, Home Appliances and Health & Beauty on Lazada Malaysia.
The Lazada Mobile App Shopper Across Six Southeast Asian Countries:
- Across all six countries, the biggest group of mobile shoppers are within the 25-34 age group (average 45% on Android; 51% on iOS).
- This is followed by the 18-24 age group (average 22% on Android; 24% on iOS) for all countries except Singapore (16% on Android; 17% on iOS).
- The number of shoppers age 45 and above are comparable among all countries (average 10% on Android; 7% on iOS) with Singapore having a higher variation (14% on Android; 10% on iOS).
- Men are trumping women in mobile shopping in Indonesia, Vietnam and, to some extent, Singapore. There are more male than female shoppers in:
- Indonesia (58% male versus 42% female on Android; 56% male versus 29% female on iOS).
- Vietnam (59% male versus 40% female on Android; 55% male versus 44% female on iOS).
- Singapore (52% male versus 47% female on Android; 49% male versus 48% female on iOS).
Time spent per app session
- iOS shoppers spend the most time at 7.2 minutes on average versus 6.5 minutes on Android.
- Philippines shoppers spend the most time on the site at 8.5 minutes on iOS and 7.3 minutes on Android, while Singapore shoppers spend the least, at 5.4 minutes on iOS and 5.1 minutes on Android.
Lazada is currently running its Big App Sale starting 21 May 2015. The four-day online event promises to bring the best mobile app-exclusive promotions across all product categories to consumers in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
App users can enjoy crazy deals each day at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. For additional value, Lazada app users can enjoy an extra 10% discount off a selected category every day, and vouchers giveaways. There will also be a ‘RM99 Store’ with 100 deals priced at RM99.