Popular social messaging app, WeChat has announced Voiceprint – a new feature that enable users to login to their accounts through voice recognition.
Voiceprint provides WeChat users an alternative way to login in to their accounts by verbally reading out a set of unique numbers, with an option of not going through the process of remembering a lengthy password. The feature is optional – users are able to activate, verify and reset Voiceprint at the setting selection in WeChat, it said.
Voiceprint can be found by going to Me > Settings > My Account > Voiceprint. Users will be prompted to press and hold the green record button, and to read a set of unique numbers. Once they have read the numbers twice, the voiceprint function will be activated and enabled.
“Just like your fingerprint, your voice is unique. Once you have enabled Voiceprint, our smart system can recognise your specific voice and intonations to verify your identify”, said Louis Song, Country Manager for Malaysia and Singapore, International Business Group at Tencent, the company behind the WeChat app.
“As WeChat develops further into an advance ecosystem that provides various online elements from messaging, gaming, entertainment, media content and e-commerce, we are actively seeking ways to further enhance our user’s security and privacy data. Voiceprint feature offers a unique solution for user to access additional level of protection in which they are able to utilize according to their preferred option – whether its voice or password recognized.” said Song.
WeChat has also announced the new WeChat 6.2 for its iOS and Android users. Major enhancements of WeChat 6.2 according to the company:
- Moments Translation: With 21 languages supported in the new translation feature for Moments, you can instantly convert your friends’ posts into your language.
- Chat Log Migration: Formerly labelled as “Chat History Backup,” we’ve made a few tweaks to make the chat history backup process quick and simple. It’s the new way to transfer your chat history to a new device.
- Photo Picker: The new photo picker tool makes it even faster and easier to send images and videos to your friends in your chats. You’ll notice the difference.
- Android Wear Improvements: We’ve added a few nifty features for Android Wear-compatible watches so that you can enjoy the WeChat experience from your wrist.
- Other Upgrades: In addition to all of the new features and improvements, we’ve enhanced the Apple Watch experience and introduced two new language options: Burmese (iOS and Android) and Traditional Chinese – Hong Kong (Android only), making WeChat even more accessible for WeChatters everywhere.
WeChat 6.2 for iOS or WeChat 6.2 for Android is now available on their respective app stores.