11street, currently one of the largest online marketplaces in Malaysia, revealed its latest Online Shopping Index, which identified the latest changes in online shopping behaviours of local consumers, as well as specific e-commerce insights during the four-week Ramadhan and Raya period from 22 June to 19 July.
Hoseok Kim, CEO of 11street says that based on the 11street Online Shopping Index, the market is expecting to see a rapidly growing use of mobile in the future.
“Malaysia is one of the top leading countries in the world when it comes to smartphone Internet access with the number of connected devices per person used by Malaysians which stood at 1.2 devices. As online shopping becomes part of the Malaysian lifestyle, smartphones will play a vital role in enabling shoppers to grab good products and offers online at anytime, anywhere,” Kim adds.
Key findings of the 11street Online Shopping Index include the following:-
- Malaysians shop in diverse categories including Health & Beauty, Kids & Baby, Home & Living, Grocery, Services such as e-vouchers and many more.
- Mobile top-ups, phone charging cable, skin moisturising gel are among the most sold items during Raya sales.
- Online sales more than double, 100% increase month on month (June-July).
- Top 10 most popular searched product items (from top to down): Tupperware, Baby car seat, Skincare, Bluetooth earphone, Curtain, Baju Kurung, KFC, Sewing Machine, Powerbank, Shoe rack.
- Customers bought from either two or more product categories within a single transaction and it is expected to increase over the next few years.
- The major spending group aged 26–35 (women and men).
- Women are no longer the only gender that drives purchasing trends when it comes to online shopping, whereby 11street shoppers are a healthy ratio of 48 men: 52 women.
- For women (during ramadhan), they mostly purchased mobile, tablets, beauty, health and personal products as well as baby and kids items.
- For men (during ramadhan), they mostly purchased Electronics, Sports and Leisure, Kids & Baby items especially baby gears such as baby car seats for their children’s comfort and safety.
- 40% of the shoppers are using their mobile devices to shop at 11street. During Ramadhan, peak shopping hours began from the breaking fast period until midnight.
11street said it has grown tremendously in Malaysia and received overwhelming response from both local customers and sellers since its inception. It currently carries more than 700,000 products on the portal.
Moving forward, 11street will be developing a combined strategy with focus to continue boost its product variety and price competitiveness while focusing on mobile shopping.
“With the latest Malaysian online shopping insights in mind, we are committed to support the vital needs of sellers and online shoppers by building a stronger platform, and to enable customers to find what they love at 11street,” ends Kim.
11street in Malaysia is hosted by Celcom Planet Sdn Bhd which was established in November 2014. Celcom Planet is a joint venture between Celcom Axiata Berhad (49%) and a leading Korean e-commerce online marketplace provider, SK Planet Ltd (51%). SK Planet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of mobile operator, SK Telecom.