Shopee, a new mobile customer-to-customer (C2C) marketplace was officially launched in Malaysia early this month. The platform was soft-launched earlier this year in the region, including Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan.
A mobile-first social marketplace where everyone can browse, shop and sell, Shopee boasts a wide range of products, is equipped with a secure payment method and innovative social-led features to create a more secure, “fun and fuss-free shopping and selling experience”.
Key features of the Shopee mobile app (according to the company):
- List a product for free in less than 30 seconds, anywhere, anytime – simply snap a picture, describe the product and set a price.
- Eliminate fraud and transaction risks via Shopee Guarantee, the app’s secure payment method. Buyers are assured that they will receive their orders in the condition as promised or advertised, or receive a refund.
- Enquire about products in real-time through Shopee Live Chat – instant messages, photo sharing; acquire a better understanding of the seller and product before a purchase decision is made.
- Professionally organise inventories and measure store performance with Seller Assistant, to easily figure out which products to restock or offer a discount on.
- Share products and shops with friends on social media – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, BeeTalk etc., via a simple tap. Buyers can also follow their favourite sellers to stay updated on the latest deals.
- Instant, personalized updates from your favourite community members.
- Effortless, beautiful browsing across dozens of categories.
- Powerful search to find what you want.
- Helpful recommendations for related items.
- Fresh hashtags to discover what is trending.
- Safe shopping environment with ratings and reviews from previous buyers.
- Shopee Guarantee – get what you ordered or your money back.
- Free listings: earn from selling your new or pre-loved products. Upload up to 9 photos for each listing.
- Powerful promotions: gain views for your products by joining in-app events.
- Hassle-free tools: organize your listings, track your orders and keep in touch with your customers.
- Social by nature: easily share your products to social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter, and import your listings from Instagram.
- Build up your marketplace reputation: gather positive ratings and reviews from your buyers.
Malaysians can now purchase their favourite products from the app through a secure payment service called Shopee Guarantee – which ensures that if products are not received in the previously agreed upon condition, payment will be refunded to buyers in full. The Shopee Guarantee is designed to give more assurance to buyers who purchase from first-time sellers from Shopee, while protecting the rights of both the buyer and seller at the same time. Shopee addresses common issues faced by users on other customer-to-customer marketplaces such as fraud, transaction risks and the hassle of face-to-face meetings.
There’s also an in-app Live Chat function which enables Shopee users to shop and communicate at their own convenience. Shopee Live Chat fosters a better understanding of both the seller and the product before a purchasing decision is made.
The mobile app also integrates social features including hashtag functions, allowing users to easily search for the most popular trending product or keep up with the latest trends. Buyers can also ‘follow’ their favourite sellers to stay updated about the latest deals.
Soft-launched in June 2015, Shopee said it has since accumulated several million active users across Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan, of which, 30% are already selling products on Shopee. The platform currently has more than three million product listings.
Shopee is now available for download for free on the Apple App Store and Google Play.