U Mobile WiFi calling service has been launched today, the first in Malaysia. With the new service, customers will be able to make and receive voice calls over a personal or public WiFi connection.
According to the Telco, One of the key challenges faced by Telco operators in Malaysia today is providing good in-building voice coverage especially for high-rise and offices. U Mobile WiFi Calling is the perfect solution to voice coverage issues as most buildings today have WiFi connectivity.
U Mobile WiFi Calling is available to both its prepaid and postpaid customers from today at no additional charge. With the new service, customers will be able to call and receive calls even in areas of limited network coverage such as basements, indoor or remote areas as long as they are connected to a WiFi terminal.
Unlike other Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) calls such as Skype, Viber and WhatsApp, WiFi Calling provides a similar experience to normal mobile phone calls as WiFi calls are made and received using existing mobile numbers. Apart from that, one may make WiFi calls to both mobile numbers as well as landlines. U Mobile customers may also make IDD calls with WiFi Calling.
For U Mobile customers who are travelling, WiFi Calling offers savings, as there will be no roaming charges for any calls made via a WiFi connection. This means, every time a U Mobile customer makes a WiFi call to a Malaysian number, regardless of where he or she is, the call will be treated like it was made from Malaysia.
U Mobile WiFi Factsheet:
- U Mobile WiFi Calling requires iOS 9.3 and an update to carrier settings done through the latest iOS update. WiFi Calling is turned off by default, enable under Settings>Phone>WiFi calling
- WiFi Calls on iPhones are made using their existing mobile numbers, with no additional third-party app required, to both mobile and landlines numbers
- WiFi Calls will be in High Definition (HD) Voice when made and received from a phone that supports HD Voice via a HD Voice enabled network
- Customers can make normal calls during flights when connected to in-flight WiFi connection
- All calls made via WiFi Calling are treated as if they are made from Malaysia. IDD rates apply.
- Steps to make a WiFi Call via iPhone
- Connect to an available WiFi network.
- Ensure that you WiFi Calling service is enabled on the iPhone
- When you see U Mobile WiFi Calling indicator in the notification bar, make and receive WiFi calls like normal
- Android users with WiFi Calling smartphones will be able to use service in Q3, 2016.
U Mobile WiFi-Calling Call charges will be based on the following scenarios:-
|Malaysia||Any Malaysian Number||Domestic call rates apply|
|Malaysia||Non-Malaysian numbers||IDD rates apply|
|Outside Malaysia||Any Malaysian Number||Domestic call rates apply|
|Outside Malaysia||Non-Malaysian numbers||IDD rates apply|
Jasmine Lee, U Mobile’s Chief Marketing Officer said “U Mobile is growing rapidly and we strive to provide good coverage to our ever increasing number of customers wherever they might be. We believe WiFi Calling will be of great benefit as our customers no longer have to worry about not being able to make or receive calls, even in areas where network coverage may be weak like in basements as long as there is a WiFi connection. The best part is the U Mobile WiFi Calling experience is incredibly seamless”
To enjoy WiFi Calling service, U Mobile customers need to ensure that the WiFi Calling function on their iPhone is enabled and that they are connected to U Mobile’s WiFi Calling service. Once that is done, WiFi Calling will be a seamless experience for U Mobile customers.
Calls made or received via WiFi Calling will be in High Definition (HD) Voice. The service is available to U Mobile customers with iPhone 5C, 5S, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s and 6s Plus models. U Mobile will also be offering WiFi Calling to customers with Android smartphones soon.