Axiata Group Berhad (Axiata) announced that its President & Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Jamaludin Ibrahim has once again been appointed to the Board of the GSMA for a two-year period beginning January 2019 through December 2020.
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, with membership from 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. The GSMA Board has 26 members, including 25 operator representatives from the world’s largest operator groups as well as smaller, independent operators with global representation. Its Board members essentially provide the association’s members with a stronger voice, clearer direction, and faster decision making.
Tan Sri Jamaludin served as a GSMA Board member between 2008 and 2013 and was appointed Deputy Chairman from January 2014 through December 2015, marking the first time a Malaysian held the post and the first time an ASEAN country was represented, Axiata said.
Commenting on the appointment, Tan Sri Jamaludin said, “I am most honoured and thankful for this opportunity to serve and contribute on the Board of GSMA yet again.”
“The global mobile industry is undergoing intense transformation. Operators are grappling with the aggressive challenges of rapidly evolving technological shifts and disruptions that have shaken what were once solid business models. The next phase of growth is revolutionary. It will require our collective will to leapfrog to the forefront of the fast-moving digital economy, and the real test will be in executing our vision of the future,” he added.
“In maintaining our position as one of the leading telecommunications groups in Asia, Axiata is implementing a series of initiatives that will transform the Group into a new generation digital company by 2022. There is much we can share with the GSMA membership from our learnings across our fast-growing markets and I also look forward to productive exchanges with industry peers in gaining new ideas and perspectives.”
Prior to this latest appointment, Tan Sri Jamaludin was a recipient of the 2015 GSMA Chairman’s Award which is the organisation’s most prestigious award recognising outstanding personal contribution to the growth and development of mobile communications around the world.
The GSMA Board has elected Stéphane Richard, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Orange Group as Chair, and Chua Sock Koong, Group Chief Executive Officer of Singtel Group as Deputy Chair.
GSMA Board Members for the 2019-2020 Term:
- Juan Carlos Archila, EVP International Affairs, América Móvil
- Susan Johnson, Executive Vice President, Global Connections and Supply Chain, AT&T
- Jamaludin bin Ibrahim, Managing Director/President and Group Chief Executive Officer, Axiata Group Berhad
- Gopal Vittal, Chief Executive Officer, Bharti Airtel
- Dr. Li Zhengmao, Executive Vice President, China Mobile
- Liu Guiqing, Executive Vice President, China Telecom
- Dr. Shao Guanglu, Executive Vice President, China Unicom
- Srini Gopalan, Member of the Board of Management, Deutsche Telekom
- Hatem Dowidar, Chief Executive Officer, International, Etisalat Group
- Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA
- Christian Salbaing, Deputy Chairman, Europe, Hutchison
- Rob Shuter, Group President and Chief Executive Officer, MTN Group
- Alexey Kornya, President and Chief Executive Officer, MTS
- Kazuhiro Yoshizawa, President and Chief Executive Officer, NTT DOCOMO
- Stéphane Richard, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Orange Group
- Mathew Oommen, President and Member of the Board of Directors, Reliance Jio
- Chua Sock Koong, Group Chief Executive Officer, Singtel Group
- Jung Ho Park, President and Chief Executive Officer, SK Telecom
- Marcelo Claure, Chief Operating Officer, SoftBank Group
- Eng. Nasser S Al Nasser, Chief Executive Officer, STC Group
- Julio Linares López, Member of the Board of Telefónica Companies, Telefónica
- Sigve Brekke, President and Chief Executive Officer, Telenor Group
- Andrew Penn, Chief Executive Officer, Telstra
- Kaan Terzio?lu, Chief Executive Officer, Turkcell
- Rima Qureshi, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Vivek Badrinath, Chief Executive for the Africa, Middle East and Asia-Pacific Region, Vodafone Group